On the lookout for some funny Elf on the Shelf ideas? Maybe your kids are getting older and the run-of-the-mill Elf on the Shelf ideas don’t get the same response that they used to.
Or maybe you’re just the super fun mom who has tons of Christmas cheer and you want to watch your kids crack up with laughter each morning.
Whatever the reason, I hope you find some inspiration in this post.
I kind of fall in this category, I guess. But I also don’t want to be spending 30 minutes each night setting up an elaborate scene with Pony the Elf. I need something quick, but one of my favorite things to do is to make my kids laugh, so quick AND funny Elf on the Shelf ideas are my Christmas jam.
Last year, my kid’s thought that the Elf on the Shelf in their winter boots was the funniest, but they’re getting older, and I bet this year it won’t be as easy to get those giggling fits out of them.
These are the ideas that I’m going to be trying out this year. Well, some of them. Because i know that there are going to be some nights when I’m just tired and overwhelmed with Christmas to-dos that I will need to use one of my easy Elf on the Shelf ideas.
Be sure to check out my printable Elf on the Shelf Calendar and Planner, which includes a funny poses calendar, along with lots of other things to make your Elf on the Shelf experience extra fun this year.
This post contains affiliate links.
Funny Elf On The Shelf Ideas
- stuck in the fireplace- It would be really cute if you just cut out a little thought bubble to go with it with the Elf saying “help!” (I don’t have a picture of this yet because I embarrassingly don’t know how to open up our gas fireplace and my husband wasn’t home)
- selling balloons (I used wooden skewers, water balloons and a cute little wooden chalkboard easel)
- decorating your child’s room with balloons and/or streamers- so fun to wake up to!
- making your child’s school lunch with weird foods- just open up the pantry and see what you can find (remember that elves love sweets!)
- blowing a bubble with gum- it stuck forever, believe me, I tested it. (I KNOW my gum obsessed kids will love this one)
- drinking syrup from a straw- This one scares me a little bit because I could totally see my kids doing this
- brushing a doll’s hair
- pooping chocolate into the potty- If you have kids that are potty training, you might want to steer clear of this one. My mother-in-law did it at her house for my daughter and she was completely freaked out. Wouldn’t use her training potty there for a whole week.
9. eating your kid’s gingerbread house- Pssst- You can sneak a bite too.
10. teaching toys how to be an elf- Use your creativity- the elf can teach whatever you want!
11. locked out of the house and stuck to the window
12. surrounded by money from your child’s piggy bank- Your kids will either love this one or will legitimately think that the elf is trying to steal from them. Either way, it’s funny!
13. eating breakfast inspired by Buddy the Elf (spaghetti, sprinkles, maple syrup, chocolate syrup, m&ms and chocolate frosted pop tarts)
14. putting makeup on just like mommy does
15. playing twister (use dot markers to make a quick twister board)
16. adding a drawn self portrait to a family photo- He’ll make a cute addition to any family!
17. in a waffle ice cream cone with sprinkles
18. tangled in Christmas lights (just make sure to use the cool-to-the-touch lights)
19. playing ghost with a tissue- just hole punch a couple holes in a tissue and you’re good to go
20. laying on a towel wearing sunglasses- don’t you love these glittery star sunglasses that I got for my daughter’s Sing themed birthday party?
21. walking on the ceiling
22. dressing up like Santa with a marshmallow beard- SO EASY!
What hilarious Elf on the Shelf ideas will you be doing this year?