Just like any parent, there are some days I really want to talk to my son, but my tired brain can only come up with “How are you doing today?”.
I mean, it is a perfectly fine question, but there are a lot of questions that would be so much more fun.
In an effort to keep my child from feeling like he’s answering questions at school, I have had to get creative and really dig into what it means to be a kid again.
Do you remember what kinds of things were the most important to you when you were a kid?
You had the rest of your life in front of you and it seemed like the world was a very big place.
What was very important to me when I was a kid was how much fun something was, whether it was a game, a movie or TV show, a friend or a joke.
The more fun things were, the more memorable.
I also remember having so many questions about so many topics and they ranged from questions about how to take care of a pet to questions about how things work in space.
So if I put these two things I loved as a kid together, I would surmise that most kids enjoy questions that evoke a sense of fun.
Fun questions can be great conversation starters and really help your child use their imagination while creating meaningful conversations at the same time! In addition to that, you get a little insight into how your little one’s mind works.
Fun Questions To Ask Kids
Before we get into the different types of questions, remember that this is supposed to be fun!
A great way to foster this is to show that you are having fun asking these questions.
If you look like you are relaxed and having fun, then your child will take that cue and also have fun and that is the most important thing. There really are no right questions or answers here.
Just let the conversation meander and that may lead to questions your child has for you, which gives him a chance to get to know you better as well.
This truly is a fun way to get to know each other in a relaxed way.
Be prepared for funny answers as well as surprising answers.
You can ask these questions at the dinner table or while taking a walk or anytime you have an opportunity.
It is important to make sure that your child is in the mood to answer questions.
If they are playing video games with their best friend, you are probably not going to get more than distracted one-word answers or no answers at all!
Choose your time with a bit of care.
I often find the best times are the little in-between times we have in the day, such as driving in the car, standing in line at the grocery store, setting the table or cleaning up after dinner together.
During all of these types of times, we are still completing a task, but the particular task does not take too much space in our minds, leaving room for these little questions and to inject a little bit of fun and joy into otherwise mundane tasks.
Your child will not remember the mundane task, rather, she will remember that you asked her a question that made her smile from ear to ear!
Open Ended Questions
1. Tell me about a time you had fun.
2. Tell me about your favorite cartoon character.
3. Tell me your favorite joke.
4. Tell me about a time you learned about something new.
5. Tell me about a topic you have a lot of knowledge about.
6. Make up a word and tell me what it means.
7. Tell me one of your favorite family stories.
8. Tell me about something you are looking forward to.
9. What do you think you are going to dream about tonight?
10. Tell me about an invention that you think would be interesting.
11. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?
12. Describe your idea of a perfect place.
13. Tell me about the plot of your favorite movie.
14. Tell me about a time you were afraid to do something, but overcame your fear and did it anyway.
15. If you could have a new name, what would it be and why?
16. If you could create a new family tradition, what would it be?
17. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
18. Tell me the plot of your favorite tv show.
19. Tell me about the best gift you have ever given and how you came up with it.
20. Tell me about a school project that really challenged you.
21. Tell me about your favorite place in the world.
22. What is the funniest thing you have experienced in your life?
Would You Rather Questions
Would you rather questions are always a fun time.
23. Would you rather have the ability to fly or teleport?
24. Would you rather play soccer or volleyball?
25. Would you rather have a time machine or live in a different time period forever?
26. Would you rather have to wear a mermaid tail on your legs or a shark fin on your back?
27. Would you rather live in a city or a desert island?
28. Would you rather be a wizard or a superhero?
29. Would you rather watch fireworks or catch fireflies?
30. Would you rather live among the clouds or at the bottom of the ocean?
31. Would you rather be able to talk to animals or read people’s minds?
32. Would you rather have a lion head or a lion tail?
33. Would you rather read a book or watch a movie?
34. Would you rather live in a tree house or a tent on the beach?
35. Would you rather take care of dogs or cats?
36. Would you rather be rich or happy?
37. Would you rather do a bellyflop or get water up your nose?
38. Would you rather ride a wave or jump on a cloud?
39. Would you rather find a treasure map or magic beans?
40. Would you rather be a mermaid or a giant?
41. Would you rather swim in a pool or in the ocean?
This Or That Questions
Ready for some fun this or that questions?
42. Do you prefer cold weather or hot weather?
43. Do you like to go to the zoo or the aquarium?
44. Do you like chocolate or fruit candy better?
45. At the playground do you prefer the swings or the teeter-totter?
46. Do you prefer a lot of acquaintances or one friend who knows you well?
47. Do you like regular cake or ice cream cake?
48. Do you like shoes or flip flops?
49. Would you prefer living in outer space or under the ocean?
50. Do you prefer Easter or Halloween?
51. Do you prefer spending the day at an amusement park or outside on the beach?
52. Do you like to wake up early or sleep in late?
53. Do you prefer reading books or playing video games?
54. Do you like to play inside or outside?
55. Do you like to wear warm socks or go barefoot?
56. Do you prefer to ride a roller coaster or a merry-go-round?
57. Do you like hats with brims or beanies?
58. Do you like to jump around in puddles or make mud pies?
Self Esteem Questions
These self esteem questions are both fun and super insightful.
59. What do you think makes you a good friend?
60. What is something you recently learned?
61. What do you want to be when you grow up?
62. What makes you curious?
63. What are your favorite questions to ask other people?
64. What is the most beautiful thing in the world in your opinion?
65. What is a new thing you learned that was really interesting to you?
66. If you could stay a kid forever, would you? Why or why not?
67. If you could be a character from literature, who would you choose?
68. Tell me about things that you are good at.
69. What do you love about yourself?
70. Tell me a story that you love?
71. What is the best way to make your day amazing?
72. Which family members do you enjoy visiting with on a regular basis?
73. Tell me about something you could teach others.
74. What is great about being your age?
75. What do you think is a unique quality you have?
76. What are your favorite hobbies?
77. I know I am loved because…
78. What is the bravest thing you have ever done?
Fun Questions To Ask Preschoolers
79. What is the silliest thing you have ever seen?
80. What is your favorite color?
81. What wild animal is your favorite?
82. What is your favorite snack?
83. What is your favorite outfit?
84. What is your favorite part of the day?
85. What do you like to do on car rides?
86. If you had a pet dragon, what would you name it?
87. Do you think you are silly?
88. Tell me about your idea for the best day ever.
89. If you could choose, would you be a giant or tiny like an ant?
90. What funny faces can you make?
91. What is your favorite drink?
92. What is the best picture you have ever drawn?
93. What kind of food would you create if you could make up your own?
94. What is the best thing about being a kid?
95. If you could be a pretend character in real life, who would you be?
Questions To Ask Kindergarteners
96. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
97. If you had three wishes, what would they be?
98. What is your favorite holiday?
99. What is your favorite pizza topping?
100. If you were a superhero, what would your superhero name be?
101. What is your favorite vegetable?
102. What do you like to do on a long car ride?
103. If you could create a new animal, what would it look like?
104. What is your superpower?
105. If you could make your own pizza, what toppings would be on it?
106. What is your favorite thing to draw pictures of?
107. If trees could grow anything, what would you want to grow on them?
108. If you could be any age, what age would you want to be?
109. If you could drive, where would you want to drive to?
110. If you could choose one of your toys to come alive, which toy would you choose?
111. What is your favorite kind of picture to color?
112. What is your favorite game to play?
113. What silly questions do you have for me?
Questions To Ask Elementary Students
114. What is your favorite subject in school?
115. What would you do if you were in charge at school today?
116. What is the grossest thing you can imagine?
117. What is your favorite game to play with your friends?
118. What kinds of funny questions would you ask your friends?
119. Who has been your favorite teacher so far?
120. If you could be invisible for one day only, what would you do?
121. What is your favorite joke?
122. I am amazing because…
123. Who is your favorite cartoon character?
124. What is the easiest thing about school?
125. What is your favorite book?
126. How do you think you will be different in ten years?
127. What is the worst thing you have ever eaten?
128. What do you like to play with the most during screen time?
129. What do you think is the best food for a birthday party?
130. What is something you know you want to learn about when you are older?
131. What board game do you like to play?
132. I am happy because…
133. Who is the funniest person you know?
134. Do you think it is better to be a kid or a grown up and why?
135. Which Harry Potter character is your favorite?
136. What is the craziest thing you have ever learned about?
Questions To Ask Older Kids
137. What is the coolest thing you have done so far?
138. What is the best dream you have ever had?
139. What do you think makes our family special?
140. What is the most interesting thing you have learned so far?
141. What is the hardest thing you have learned in your life?
142. What card game do you like to play?
143. What are you looking forward to?
144. What are some of your favorite icebreaker questions?
145. When is the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
146. What do you want to do when you are an adult?
147. What is your favorite memory from being a younger child?
148. What would be a perfect day for you?
149. What do you think is the funniest thing about younger kids?
150. What are some of the best questions you have been asked that really made you think?
151. What could you spend the whole day doing?
152. What are your thoughts on social media?
153. What is your favorite family tradition?
154. What is your favorite road trip activity??
155. Do you see yourself having kids as an adult?
156. Is there a famous person you admire? Why?
157. What has been the best part of growing up?
158. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose to be?
159. What is your favorite song?
160. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
How about playing a super fun game of Never Have I Ever?
You are now armed with your fun questions and ready to spend some amazing quality time with your child!
Be excited and know that you are about to learn so much more about your amazing kid.
He may not say so himself (ever!) but rest assured in the fact that no matter how silly your questions may be, your child appreciates the time that you are spending to get to know him better as a person and will know that he is so important to you.
As always, you’ve got this!